Sunday, April 2, 2017

Reading Notes: Brook. Mahabharata (film) Part D

I really liked the element of disguise, even though they looked just like their former selves. It could be interesting to have them actually transform into other people or beings. I thought it was funny that the general makes a joke about Yudhisthira's poor dice playing skills, and that there was no way that this was Yudhisthira because the guy before him never loses. While I did not like the scene where Bhima killed Kichaka, I like that he protected Draupadi and kept her out of harm's way.

I also thought it was interesting that Gandhari understands that the palace does not belong to them/the king. Dhritarashtra seems to understand this, but does not really seem to care. He kind of just goes along with what his son wants. Duryodhana's anger is still burning and even after this interaction with Krishna, he still wants to kill the pandavas.

I also thought the rules of the battle were funny. I thought it was funny that they will not allow one to strike a man in the back or legs. I guess they see that as a cheap shot.


Duryodhana holding a sword to Krishna's throat. I thought this was very symbolic of this part as a whole. Duryodhana thought he was mighty enough to hold this sword to this reincarnated god's throat. (Image from the film at 3:03)


Bibliography: 
Peter Brook's The Mahabharata
YouTube link to the film

No comments:

Post a Comment