Sunday, April 2, 2017

Growth Mindset: Project Perfection

I just watched the Carol Dweck's talk on being perfect. And she was able to verbalize a lot of things that I have been feeling lately. I totally have a Type-A personality, and operate at a maximum efficiency when everything goes as planned, projects are completed just to my liking, and I have a say in everything going on around me. On the other hand, my younger sister is more of a free-spirit and often comments on how I need to 'loosen up a little'. While I get what she means, and that happiness can't only be measured by the number of things you cross off on a daily to-do list, I never really thought of striving towards perfection as a negative. I viewed the factors outside of it to pose more of a problem than the perfectionism in me. In her video, Professor Dweck poses the question, "is perfectionism a vice or a virtue?" I had never considered this to be a viable question. I had never really noticed that it was actually my need to be perfect that initially keeps me from trying new things. I try as hard as I can to stay in this bubble, where I can control everything and maintain at a certain operating level. This Professor  Dweck is what society should fear most. This "fixed mindset" does not typically yield creativity or innovation. It takes failures to really accomplish something meaningful. I look forward to reading/listening to more of Professor Dweck's work and trying to change my mindset into this new way of perceiving perfectionism.

I really liked this quote!! The original can be found here.

Carol Dweck's video can be found here

1 comment:

  1. Simply based on the imaged quote you gave, there is a lot of deep meaning one can have. Perfection isn't something we wait for; its not a special kind of feeling or way about things. We are able to apply perfection to any and everything we do, even if on others eyes it doesn't make sense or it doesn't look like it. Perfection is what we decide to be and make, not something predetermined.

    ReplyDelete